Friday, September 30, 2011

Attack the Block (2011)


Wow. I went from a deep slump of passive viewing of bleh to an eye popping media party! So many movies to write about, so little time to execute!!

First off in my crazy train of movies is "Attack the Block". I have been noticing this movie left and right during all the film festivals. This has exploded to become one of the best movies of the year. After finally watching the movie a few weeks, I wholeheartedly, palm slapping the table agree. So much so, I want to throw myself on top of a table, tap dance a few steps as I scream my enthusiasm for this movie!!

I admit that I did have my doubts. When I first saw the trailer, I immediately thought if how closely linked it seemed to Stephen Spielbergs "Super 8". And, sigh, another attacking alien movie. So many movies have came out about attacking aliens that I'm wondering if these filmmakers are really depressed about the world. Then again, after hours spent in LA traffic, I know I have entertained many thoughts of raining fiery meteors conveniently to cars around me.

But....then I saw that it was produced by the makes of "Hot Fuzz" and "Shaun of the Dead". Not a huge fan of "Hot Fuzz" but I LOVE "Shaun of the Dead".So...sold.

"Attack the Block" is simply a movie about aliens that have landed in the block (the poor/slum-like district of England). A group of young boys witness the alien and set about defending their neighborhood. Not just your run of the mill good boys. These are hoodlums. They're such bad boys that we are first introduced to them while they're committing a crime. And your wondering how the hell am I supposed to relate to these pricks?!

You know what, very well. By the end of the movie, I adored the boys and I was saddened by some of the tragic events. That is so amazing. I haven't seen a movie in a very long time that has me changing my mind about characters. Usually if I hate them in the beginning, I will continue to hate them.

Not only did I love the characters, the action was so good. I mean, I was gripping the edges of the chair. The chases were so damn exciting. I don't even know how the hell am I supposed to do justice on it.

And damn....it was more violent than I thought.....but it was still so good...

Oh and geez, the aliens were simple but SCARY!! They made me so nervous. You just see this blob of black fur with flourescent teeth, big deal right? No. The mannerisms, behavior, and intent of these creatures are what makes them terrifying.

Mixed with the scary parts of the movie, there were plenty of funny bit to balance them out. Damn this movie was soooo good!!! I loved this movie so much!!!

I'm an absolute fan and I definitely recommend this movie to everyone!!!

No comments: