Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Captain America (2011)


This is a very special blog post for me. Thanks to a very knowledgeable roomie, we won red carpet premiere tickets to Captain America.

yes. RED. CARPET. PREMIERE!!!!

Quick recap on how we won:

Ralph Garmen of KROQ announces the question to call in and win tickets: " During the 70's, Captain America decides to stop being Captain America and decides to fight against the man. What was his name?". The correct answer: Nomad. Who got in by the 2nd try? ME! Who begins to scream like the silly fangirls we are? WE DO!!! Oh man we screamed so much...at 7 am...

Fast forward to yesterday, we endured the craziest obstacle course to get to the premiere. After working a full day, we frantically change into our glamorous clothes before dashing off to the premiere. It was to be held at the El Capitan in Hollywood. I was given specific instructions to arrive between 5 pm to 6 pm. Sharp.

We endure through 2 hours of LA traffic before arriving in Hollywood. Then we frantically find parking, fight through the crowds, get tossed around to wrong locations, before we're able to even walk into the right theater. Just to do some shameless name dropping, I managed to see Vanessa Hudgens ("High School Musical), Robert Downey Jy ("Iron Man!"), Kevin Smith (GOD!), Ralpg Garmen (KROQ), and I believe we were tailing Chris Helmsworth ("Thor")

The movie doesn't release until this friday, so I won't ruin it. I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I will admit that I'm not very fond of Captain America. I always found him a bit of a arrogant, patriotic jerk. I have always shyed away from overly patriotic characters. After watching this movie, I have changed my mind a bit.


I really, really loved how Chris Evans portrayed Chris Evans. He was likable, strong, and HOT. I will not lie. He was just amazing!!!! There is a scene where he pulls himself out of the river and I could not help but squeal. Squeal really, really loudly in the same theater that Chris Evans was sitting somewhere ( To my disappointment , I never saw Chris Evans at the premiere. They were ushering people in so quickly that we didn't even get a chance to take pictures).

The casting for this movie was phenomenal. Tommy Lee Jones was the funniest character in the movie. He very much reminded me of own father.

I absolutely loved Peggy Carter. She was so bad ass!! There is an incredible scene where she stands in the street and shoots the bad guy. Her stance is solid and her aim is golden. Holy crap she is awesome!!

I'm not sure if they have any names or anything, but the crew that Captain America chooses to back him up are awesome. They are one of the most mixed racial group of awesome. Yes I realize I'm writing "awesome" way too often but I am still too hyped up from the premiere!

I don't know too much of Captain Americas backstory since I never had an interest but I do know the following points:
* He was made into a super strong being by the army
* he was the 2nd experiment. The first guy was a black guy (whom I forgot his name)
* he was frozen and awakened in present day to join the "avengers"
* he has a shield

The movie does a great job of condensing alot of backstory into a very enjoyable movie. The action montages were awesome, the shield action was awesome, and I really enjoyed the dancing girls ( as a side note, I also enjoyed the dancing girls in "Iron Man", too).
It took me awhile to get used to the story flow but it fit the story. The scenes played out like a comic book. The movie doesn't waste too much time with explaining how he gets to a certain point. It's all done "off panel". The point of the movie is that this is Captain Americas back story.In fact, "Iron Man", "Thor," and now "Captain America" has been a major led into one of the most anticipated comic book movie : "The Avengers!" (Hint: Stay until the end of the credits in order to see a really cool glimpse of it).


That's all I will have to say on Captain America. There is so much to talk about but I would rather not give anything way. It is definitely something that should be experienced. I am definitely recommending everyone to watch this movie. It's a different comic book movie with an awesome style. The action sequences remind me of Star Wars, the dialogue is hilarious ("fondue"...hee hee), and Chris Evans is HOT!

No comments: